Communication within a business can make all the difference in the world, good or bad. Bad communication can lead to a negative shift within an office that can have a major effect on the overall efficiency and functionality. In order to prevent a negative shift it is important to achieve employee engagement. To have well informed employees who are engaged and have regular effective communication. Here are six segments to successful workplace communications.
1. Understanding of Strategy and Goals- Employees who are effectively communicated with have a much better understanding of how what they are doing fits into the bigger picture and overall picture of where the company is going and what it is ultimately trying to achieve.
2. Create a Positive Attitude… especially when it comes to change – When employees are communicated with effectively, especially in the event of a change to the company, they respond much more positively to it. Change can be a scary thing within a company especially when you are unsure of where you are in the mix of the change. Effective communication can change the all-around feel and attitude towards the change hence making that change come about it a positive way. When change can be thought about as a positive thing employees become more willing to help embed the change that is taking place rather than just react to it.
3. Engagement- When employees are communicated with effectively on a regular basis they become much more engaged with the company allowing them to have a good understanding of what is going on around them. This can lead them to have a much more positive attitude towards their work and to customers.
4. Compliance with Company Policy’s and those Enforcing it- Regular and effective communication and proper training ensures that all employees are compliant with requirements of the company and aware of all of the company guidelines and where to find them or who the proper person is to speak with regarding company matters.
“Effective communication is 20% what you know and 80% how you feel about what you know” – Jim Rohn
5. Two Way Feedback and Communication- Communication in a work place is not supposed to be a one-way street. Effective and regular communication in the workplace is a good way of inviting employees to become involved and engage in discussions and give feedback between management and employees. This in turn promotes a culture for employees for sharing ideas and knowledge and making these ideas come to life.
6. Consistency- Effective communication is key to getting everyone on the same page. If everyone understands what the company is working towards and what role they play in the company getting there then employees will be much more consistent with what they think that means and what they need to do to get the company there.Photos courtesy of 123RF
Latest posts by Lisa Gillies (see all)
- 5 Ways to Gain Satisfaction and Happiness in Your Career - October 23, 2014
- Case Study – Mingus Union High School - October 1, 2014
- Case Study – Texas Bible Institute - August 8, 2014